Or 5 payments from NZ$6.59
- Delivery & Returns
- What you get
If you find you’re leaking breast milk from one breast as your baby feeds from the other, Medela milk collection shells can save this excess milk while you breastfeed.
- Flexibly adapt to the shape of the breast
- Prevent wet patches, even during heavy milk flow
- Soft silicone feels comfortable on delicate breast skin
- Practical spout for easy emptying
- BPA free
*For hygienic reasons, this cannot be returned to store once opened.
Delivery & Returns
We can deliver to any mainland New Zealand physical address. (sorry this excludes Chatham Islands & Stewart Island - please contact our Customer Services Department for freight options)
$5.00 Freight Charge for any orders under $89 when delivered within New Zealand
Free Freight for any orders over $89 when delivered within New Zealand
$5 surcharge for rural deliveries
Oversized items freight costs will be:
$30 North Island, $70 South Island per oversized item - if a rural delivery please contact email@example.com for a freight cost.
Gift vouchers: Freight FREE in New Zealand
Overseas Orders We also ship overseas. All our overseas orders go by New Zealand Post (with a tracking service). Overseas freight charges will be confirmed when you check out.
*Please Note that due to uncertain times with COVID-19, there are delays with some international deliveries up to 2-3 months depending on the country of delivery. Once the order is handed over to the courier, we have no control over the time period it would take to complete the international delivery.*
If you have any questions regarding shipping please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note the free freight offer only applies to orders made online at www.babyfactory.co.nz and delivered within New Zealand. Exclusions for oversized items may apply.
2 - 3 working days for Auckland deliveries
3 - 4 working days for North Island deliveries
5 - 6 working days for South Island deliveries
Rural Deliveries: 2-3 extra days for rural deliveries. Please mention your RD number when placing your order.
Around public holiday periods - please allow a few extra working days. During the Christmas period - please expect courier delivery to take a little longer than usual.
- Caution: Only the milk which is collected during breastfeeding can be fed to the baby. Milk which is not used immediately has to be disposed of.
- Lower profile for less visibility.
- For excessive milk leakage.
- To collect leaking milk.
- To protect clothing.
Recommendation for use
- Collecting breastmilk from one breast during breastfeeding-If this milk is not used immediately, it has to be disposed of.
- Collecting leaking milk between breastfeedings-This milk has to be disposed of.
BreastcareBreastfeeding is one of the most beautiful and natural experiences mothers can share with their baby. Medela can accompany mothers if they need a little extra support. Medela's Breast Care range offer small and practical devices to help overcome any difficulties.
Everyday careUseful tips to ensure a long happy breastfeeding period:
- wear a well-fitting bra.
- use good quality bra pads to absorb any milk leakage.
- Apply PureLan nipple cream if you have dry nipples.
- Avoid excessive soap on your nipples.
Nipple careIf you experience nipple discomfort
- Ensure your baby is correctly positioned and attached to your breast.
- use PureLan nipple cream and Hydrogel Pacs to help alleviate symptoms.
- Use nipple shields as a temporary support only.
- Seek advice from a lactation professional if problem persists.
ChallengesIn case of feeding challenges look for the following option:
- Flat/inverted nipples: Nipple formers can help draw out your nipples.
- Engorgement: Use hydrogel pads for a cooling effect.
What you get
2 x Milk Collection Shells
Dealing with leaking breast milk during feeds
As you feed your baby, you may notice your other breast leaking milk. This type of leaking breast milk affects many mums – and some more than others! However, breast leaking is perfectly normal, especially during the first six weeks 1 – it’s not necessarily a sign that you have too much milk. But if you’re concerned you might have an oversupply, read our expert advice to find out more. In the meantime, milk collection shells can help.
What are breast milk collection shells?
Milk collection shells are worn over your nipple to collect leaking breast milk, ensuring that not a drop that leaks during feeds goes to waste. Medela milk collection shells are made from skin-friendly materials and shaped to your body, making them comfortable and discreet to wear.
When to use milk collection shells
You can wear milk collection shells during breastfeeding to catch leaking milk as described above, as well as between feeds to avoid wet patches. Just remember to remove them every two to three hours and let your breasts air-dry, as this prevents any excess moisture damaging your nipples. And avoid wearing breast shells in bed at night, as this can cause skin tenderness – you could try disposable nursing pads to absorb heavy leaking breast milk instead, or Ultra thin disposable nursing pads if your flow is lighter.
How to use Medela milk collection shells
You’ll need to assemble the two parts of the milk collection shells before use, which is easy to do:
- The soft, flexible silicone membrane is designed to be gentle on skin – place it on to the outer shell, snapping it all the way around.
- Once assembled, place the milk collection shell inside your bra, with the membrane’s opening centred over your nipple. The handy spout should be facing upwards.
It’s a good idea to wear a nursing bra when using milk collection shells. These tend to be a bit roomier than a typical bra, ensuring the shells apply less pressure to your breasts.
Using your saved breast milk
Only breast milk collected during breastfeeding should be fed to your baby – throw any milk that collects between feeding sessions away. When you remove the milk collection shell, lean forwards slightly. Then use the shell’s special pouring hole to transfer the breast milk that has been saved during a feed into a sanitised container, such as a breast milk bottle or storage bag. If you’re not going to feed this milk to your baby immediately, refrigerate the container straight away, and use within 24 hours.
How to clean Medela milk collection shells
It’s important to keep your breastfeeding accessories clean, and this includes breast milk collection shells. Before the first time you use them – and once a day thereafter – sanitise the breast shells like this:
- Separate the parts and place them in a small pan filled with cold distilled water. If distilled water isn’t available, add a teaspoon of citric acid to tap water to help prevent limescale build-up.
- Bring the water to the boil, and continue to boil the breast shells in it for five minutes.
- Drain off the water with care, and let the parts dry on a clean cloth.
It’s also important to clean milk collection shells after each use. Separate the parts and wash with a mild cleaning solution. Then rinse thoroughly in cold water, and dry on a clean cloth. Both the outer shell and inner membrane are dishwasher-safe, so you can also use this method of cleaning, or you could use a microwave bag.